Applied and Computational Mathematics
Applied and Computational Mathematics at UW-Madison
Welcome to the Applied and Computational Mathematics Group at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. Our faculty members, postdoctoral fellows, and students are involved in a variety of research projects, including fluid dynamics, partial and stochastic differential equations, scientific computing, biology, biochemistry, and topology.
To pursue graduate studies in Applied and Computational Mathematics, see the Mathematics Graduate Program.
News and opportunities
- Leonardo Andrés Zepeda-Núñez has joined the department (Fall 2019).
- Amy Cochran has joined the department (Fall 2019).
- Jason Turner (Ph.D. student of Sam Stechmann) has been awarded a Computational Science Graduate Fellowship from the Department of Energy (Spring 2019).
- Nan Chen has joined the department (Fall 2018).
- Will Mitchell (former Ph.D. student of Saverio Spagnolie) has accepted a faculty position at Macalester College to begin in Fall 2019.
- Lei Li (former Ph.D. student of Saverio Spagnolie) has accepted a faculty position at Shanghai Jiao Tong University to begin in Fall 2018.
- Jean-Luc Thiffeault was featured in Washington Post's Wonkblog on his paper exploring the mathematical history of taffy pullers. link to paper
- Gheorghe Craciun was featured in SIAM News on his recent proof of the Global Attractor Conjecture. link to paper
- Scott Hottovy (former postdoc of Sam Stechmann) has accepted a faculty position at the US Naval Academy to begin in Fall 2016.
- Reed Ogrosky (former postdoc of Sam Stechmann) has accepted a faculty position at Virginia Commonwealth University to begin in Fall 2016.
- Mathematical Fluids, Materials & Biology Ann Arbor, MI, June 12-15, 2019
- RTG Workshop: Turbulent and Coherent Convection 224 Ingraham Hall, May 27-29, 2015
organized by Applied Math
- Applied and Computational Math Seminar (Fridays at 2:25pm, VV 901)
- Graduate Applied Math Seminar (Mondays at 3:40pm, VV 901)
- Physical Applied Math Group Meeting (Spagnolie/Thiffeault) (Thursdays at 4:00pm, VV 901)
- Networks Seminar (Anderson/Johnston/Craciun) (Wednesdays at 2:25pm, VV 901)
other seminar series of interest
- Mathematics Colloquium (Fridays at 4:00pm, VV B239)
- Probability Seminar (Thursdays at 2:25pm, VV 901)
- SILO Seminar (Wednesdays at 12:30pm, 3rd floor WID)
- Chaos and Complex Systems Seminar (Tuesdays at 12:05pm, 4274 Chamberlin Hall)
- Physics Department Colloquium (Fridays at 3:30 pm; 2241 Chamberlin Hall)
- AOS Colloquium (Mondays at 3:30 pm; 811 AOSS building)
- Astronomy Colloquium (Thursdays at 3:45 pm; 4421 Sterling Hall)
Tenured and tenure-track faculty
David Anderson: (Duke, 2005) probability and stochastic processes, computational methods for stochastic processes, biochemical networks, mathematical/systems biology.
Sigurd Angenent: (Leiden, 1986) partial differential equations.
Amir Assadi: (Princeton, 1978) computational & mathematical models in molecular biology & neuroscience.
Nigel Boston: (Harvard, 1987) algebraic number theory, group theory, arithmetic geometry, computational algebra, coding theory, cryptography, and other applications of algebra to electrical engineering.
Nan Chen: (Courant, 2016) contemporary applied mathematics, geophysics, applied stochastics, algorithms and data science.
Amy Cochran: (Cornell, 2013) population health science, computational psychiatry.
Gheorghe Craciun: (Ohio State, 2002) mathematical biology, biochemical networks, biological interaction networks.
Shamgar Gurevich: (Tel Aviv, 2006) Representation theory of groups, algebraic geometry, applications to signal Processing, structural biology, mathematical physics.
Qin Li: (Wisconsin, 2012) applied & computational mathematics.
Gloria Mari-Beffa: (Minnesota, 1991) differential geometry, applied math.
Sébastien Roch: (Berkeley, 2007) applied probability, statistics and theoretical computer science, with emphasis on biological applications.
Leslie Smith: (MIT, 1988) applied mathematics. Waves and coherent structures in oceanic and atmospheric flows.
Saverio Spagnolie: (Courant, 2008) fluid dynamics, biological locomotion, soft matter, computational mathematics.
Sam Stechmann: (Courant, 2008) applied math, stochastic modeling, fluid dynamics, atmospheric science, computational mathematics.
Jean-Luc Thiffeault: (Texas, 1998) fluid dynamics, mixing, biological swimming and mixing, topological dynamics.
Fabian Waleffe: (MIT, 1989) applied and computational mathematics. Fluid dynamics, hydrodynamic instabilities. Turbulence and unstable coherent flows.
Leonardo Andrés Zepeda-Núñez: (MIT, 2015) machine learning, numerical analysis, wave propagation, inverse problems.
Postdoctoral fellows and researchers
Majid Arabgol: HPC & Visualization Research Scholar
Anakewit (Tete) Boonkasame: (UW Madison, 2012)
Marko Budišić: (UC Santa Barbara, 2012) dynamical systems
Yongyong Cai: (National University of Singapore, 2012)
Arthur Evans: (UCSD, 2011) soft matter, complex fluids
Prerna Gera: (Buffalo, 2018) fluid-structure interactions
Matthew Johnston: (University of Waterloo, 2011) dynamical systems
Current Graduate Students
Adel Ardalan: Student of Amir Assadi.
Hamisha Ardalani: Student of Amir Assadi.
James Brunner: Student of Gheorghe Craciun.
Alireza Fotuhi: Student of Amir Assadi.
Jing Hao: Student of Jean-Luc Thiffeault.
Mohammad Khabbazian: Student of Amir Assadi.
Masanori (Maso) Koyama: Student of David Anderson.
Liu Liu: Student of Shi Jin
Wilson Lough: Student of Saverio Spagnolie.
Hasti Mirkia: Student of Amir Assadi.
Thomas Morrell: Student of Saverio Spagnolie and Jean-Luc Thiffeault.
Ting-Ting Nan: Student of Nigel Boston.
Arash Sangari: Student of Amir Assadi.
Ebru Selin Selen: Student of Amir Assadi.
Jinsu Kim: Student of David Anderson.
Huanyu Wen: Student of Jean-Luc Thiffeault.
Elizabeth Skubak Wolf: Student of David Anderson.
Qian You: Student of Sigurd Angenent.
Graduate course offerings
- Math 632: Introduction to Stochastic Processes (David Anderson, Timo Seppalainen, Benedek Valko)
- Math 703: Methods of Applied Mathematics I (Saverio Spagnolie)
- Math 705: Mathematical Fluid Dynamics (Leslie Smith)
- Math 714: Methods of Computational Math I (Sam Stechmann)
- Math 632: Introduction to Stochastic Processes (TBA)
- Math 704: Methods of Applied Mathematics II (TBA)
- Math 715: Methods of Computational Math II (TBA)
Return to the Mathematics Department Wiki Page