Applied and Computational Mathematics
Applied and Computational Mathematics at UW-Madison
Welcome to the Applied and Computational Mathematics Group at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. Our faculty members, postdoctoral fellows, and students are involved in a variety of research projects, including fluid dynamics, partial and stochastic differential equations, scientific computing, biology, biochemistry, topology, and data science.
To pursue graduate studies in Applied and Computational Mathematics, see the Mathematics Graduate Program.
News and opportunities
Full a full list of recent events within the department, see the Mathematics Department Website.
- Tom Edwards (former Ph.D. student of Leslie Smith and Sam Stechmann) will begin a new job at Google in Fall 2021.
- Quanling Deng (former postdoc of Sam Stechmann and Nan Chen) has accepted a faculty position at the Australian National University to begin in January 2022.
- Ying Li (former Ph.D. student of Sam Stechmann) will begin as a Data Scientist at Wells Fargo Bank in November 2021.
- Leonardo Andrés Zepeda-Núñez has joined the department (Fall 2019).
- Amy Cochran has joined the department (Fall 2019).
- Jason Torchinsky (Ph.D. student of Sam Stechmann) has been awarded a Computational Science Graduate Fellowship from the Department of Energy (Spring 2019).
- Nan Chen has joined the department (Fall 2018).
- Will Mitchell (former Ph.D. student of Saverio Spagnolie) has accepted a faculty position at Macalester College to begin in Fall 2019.
- Lei Li (former Ph.D. student of Saverio Spagnolie) has accepted a faculty position at Shanghai Jiao Tong University to begin in Fall 2018.
- Jean-Luc Thiffeault was featured in Washington Post's Wonkblog on his paper exploring the mathematical history of taffy pullers. link to paper
- Gheorghe Craciun was featured in SIAM News on his recent proof of the Global Attractor Conjecture. link to paper
- Mathematical Fluids, Materials & Biology Ann Arbor, MI, June 12-15, 2019
- RTG Workshop: Turbulent and Coherent Convection 224 Ingraham Hall, May 27-29, 2015
Organized by Applied Math
- Applied and Computational Math Seminar (Fridays at 2:25pm, VV 901)
- Graduate Applied Math Seminar (Mondays at 3:40pm, VV 901)
- Physical Applied Math Group Meeting (Spagnolie/Thiffeault) (Thursdays at 4:00pm, VV 901)
- Networks Seminar (Anderson/Johnston/Craciun) (Wednesdays at 2:25pm, VV 901)
Other seminar series of interest
- Mathematics Colloquium (Fridays at 4:00pm, VV B239)
- Probability Seminar (Thursdays at 2:25pm, VV 901)
- SILO Seminar (Wednesdays at 12:30pm, 3rd floor WID)
- Chaos and Complex Systems Seminar (Tuesdays at 12:05pm, 4274 Chamberlin Hall)
- Physics Department Colloquium (Fridays at 3:30 pm; 2241 Chamberlin Hall)
- AOS Colloquium (Mondays at 3:30 pm; 811 AOSS building)
- Astronomy Colloquium (Thursdays at 3:45 pm; 4421 Sterling Hall)
Tenured and tenure-track faculty
David Anderson: (Duke, 2005) probability and stochastic processes, computational methods for stochastic processes, biochemical networks, mathematical/systems biology.
Sigurd Angenent: (Leiden, 1986) partial differential equations.
Nan Chen: (Courant, 2016) uncertainty quantification, data assimilation, geophysics, stochastic modeling, and data science.
Amy Cochran: (Cornell, 2013) population health science, computational psychiatry.
Gheorghe Craciun: (Ohio State, 2002) mathematical biology, biochemical networks, biological interaction networks.
Shamgar Gurevich: (Tel Aviv, 2006) Representation theory of groups, algebraic geometry, applications to signal Processing, structural biology, mathematical physics.
Qin Li: (Wisconsin, 2012) applied & computational mathematics.
Gloria Mari-Beffa: (Minnesota, 1991) differential geometry, applied math.
Sébastien Roch: (Berkeley, 2007) applied probability, statistics and theoretical computer science, with emphasis on biological applications.
Leslie Smith: (MIT, 1988) applied mathematics. Waves and coherent structures in oceanic and atmospheric flows.
Saverio Spagnolie: (Courant, 2008) fluid dynamics, biological locomotion, soft matter, computational mathematics.
Sam Stechmann: (Courant, 2008) applied math, stochastic modeling, fluid dynamics, atmospheric science, computational mathematics.
Jean-Luc Thiffeault: (Texas, 1998) fluid dynamics, mixing, biological swimming and mixing, topological dynamics.
Fabian Waleffe: (MIT, 1989) applied and computational mathematics. Fluid dynamics, hydrodynamic instabilities. Turbulence and unstable coherent flows.
Leonardo Andrés Zepeda-Núñez: (MIT, 2015) machine learning, numerical analysis, wave propagation, inverse problems.
Hanbaek Lyu (Ohio State, 2018) discrete probability, dynamical systems, networks, optimization, machine learning
Postdoctoral fellows and researchers
Majid Arabgol: HPC & Visualization Research Scholar
Anakewit (Tete) Boonkasame: (UW Madison, 2012)
Marko Budišić: (UC Santa Barbara, 2012) dynamical systems
Yongyong Cai: (National University of Singapore, 2012)
Arthur Evans: (UCSD, 2011) soft matter, complex fluids
Prerna Gera: (Buffalo, 2018) fluid-structure interactions
Thomas Chandler: (Oxford, 2021) soft matter, complex fluids
Matthew Johnston: (University of Waterloo, 2011) dynamical systems
Current graduate students
|Student||Advisor (1)||Advisor (2)||Program Start Year||Research Area|
|Zinan Wang||Sigurd Angenent|
|Jeffrey Covington||Nan Chen||2018|
|Xiao Hou||Nan Chen||Qin Li|
|Yingda Li||Nan Chen|
|Yuchen Li||Nan Chen|
|Haley Colgate||Amy Cochran||2020|
|Enkhzaya "Eza" Enkhtaivan||Amy Cochran|
|Jiaxin Jin||Gheorghe Craciun||Chanwoo Kim|
|Jenny Yeon||Gheorghe Craciun|
|Polly Yu||Gheorghe Craciun|
|Hongxu Chen||Chanwoo Kim||Qin Li|
|Shi Chen||Qin Li|
|Zhiyan Ding||Qin Li|
|Anjali Nair||Qin Li||2018|
|Jenny Wei||Qin Li||Yingyu Liang|
|Borong Zhang||Qin Li||Leonardo Zepeda-Núñez|
|Parvathi Madathil Kooloth||Leslie Smith|
|Varun Gudibanda||Leslie Smith||2020|
|Wilson Lough||Saverio Spagnolie||2018|
|Tianhong Huang||Samuel Stechmann|
|Jason Torchinsky||Samuel Stechmann||2018||Data assimilation, multi-model communication, atmospheric modelling|
|Carrie Hongfei Chen||Jean-Luc Thiffeault|
|Yu Feng||Jean-Luc Thiffeault|
|Bryan Oakley||Jean-Luc Thiffeault|
Graduate course offerings
- Math 623: Complex Analysis (Betsy Stovall)
- Math 627: Introduction to Fourier Analysis (Sergey Denisov)
- Math 632: Introduction to Stochastic Processes (Vadim Gorin, Benedek Valko)
- Math 703: Methods of Applied Mathematics I (Gheorghe Craciun)
- Math 714: Methods of Computational Math I (Leonardo Andrés Zepeda-Núñez)
- Math 821: Advanced Topics in Real Analysis [Fluid Dynamics] (Mihaela Ifrim)
- Math 833: Topics in the Theory of Probability [Stochastic Computational Methods] (Nan Chen)
- Math 632: Introduction to Stochastic Processes (Scott Smith, Erik Bates, Tetiana Shcherbyna)
- Math 704: Methods of Applied Mathematics II (Jean-Luc Thiffeault)
- Math 705: Mathematical Fluid Dynamics (Leslie Smith)
- Math 715: Methods of Computational Math II (Leonardo Andrés Zepeda-Núñez)
- Math 716: Ordinary Differential Equations (Sigurd Angenent)
- Math 801: Topics in Applied Mathematics (Gheorghe Craciun)
- Math 807: Dynamical Systems (Hung Tran)
- Math 820: Partial Differential Equations (Chanwoo Kim)
Return to the Mathematics Department Wiki Page