Basic Linux Seminar
January 16, 2017 from 10am to 12pm, B107 Van Vleck
Connecting to a linux machine via ssh.
- hand out account credentials for non-math attendees
- explain Linux vs. Unix, open source
Using SCP to move items from your machine to the server, using sFTP, Filezilla, SecureFX
- Terminal on mac, linux
- download and install SSH program (like SecureCRT) for Windows.
- landing zone
- where am I
- changing directories
- shortcuts for changing directories
- ~, ., ..,
- tab completion
- nano nameoffile
- nano is a simple (and one of many) text editor, vi, emacs, joe, etc.
Listing contents of your directory
- does not show hidden files/folders
- use of option flags to see more
- ls -l
- ls -la
- does show hidden files/folders
- ls -last
- shows most recently changed/create at top
- ls -l shows you the permissions
- discussion of what those permissions mean.
- letter method
- number method
- chmod changing permissions
Man command Less command Grep command Piping cron
- make your own script
- quota command; du -s subdir
- locate command