From UW-Math Wiki
Revision as of 20:29, 16 February 2011 by Ynagel (talk | contribs) (→‎Incompletes)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

You are in charge of keeping a record of your students' grades, and you must file a copy of these at the end of the semester. You can get paper grade sheets along with other office supplies from Sharon (2nd floor). You can also keep your grades on a spreadsheet. On the math department Linux machines look for Applications->Office->Gnumeric Spreadsheet.

Spreadsheets allow you to compute averages easily and to make a condensed version of your grades at the end of the semester.

Submitting Grades

At the end of the semester you will file your students' grades electronically. You can access the grading system via your MyUW account. You will receive copious e-mails on how to do this, as well as printed documentation. You can also ask other TA's how to do it.

Midterm grades

First year students receive midterm grades. You submit these electronically using the above system. While these are not their final grades, it gives the students an idea of how they are doing. If in doubt, ask your lecturer what data to use for midterm grades. Usually your students will have at least one test score and some quiz scores. This is usually what is used. Special instructions for midterm grade submission can be found here.

Final grades

You will have to submit all of your students grades at the end of the semester. Final grades are due no later than 96 hours after the final examination.

Warning: Do not turn in grades late!!! There are deadlines for when you can turn in grades. If you miss them you can jeopardize your students' financial aid status. Don't punish someone else for your laziness. Also, you will have to fill out an individual Grade Change form for each and every one of your students. If you do this once, you will make sure to never do it again...

Filing finals and gradebooks

In addition to submitting electronic grades you must file hard copies of your students' finals and your gradebook. These hard copies will be kept available for your students', your lecturer's, and your own reference -- exams are kept for a semester, grade books for a year (at least). These are to be filed in VV 205 (same room as the copier). Gradebooks and exams are filed separately.

Label your gradebooks with your name, course number and section number. Put this in the top left file drawer in the copier room in the folder with your name on it.

With the finals, make a cover sheet again listing your name, course number and section number. Put a rubber band around the whole thing (tests and cover sheet) and file the packet in alphabetical order in the appropriate final exam drawer.

There will also be a sheet up in VV 205 telling you the same information as above, and you will receive a reminder e-mail toward the end of the semester telling you the same thing. As mentioned above, the most important thing about submitting grades and filing hard copies is to be prompt. DO NOT PUT THIS OFF!


The registrar's explanation of "The Incomplete" is available here. That page is part of a broader discussion of grades at UW-Madison.