Math Department Computer Accounts
The Math Department computing facilities are only for the faculty, staff and graduate students of the Math Department. This web site assumes that you are a faculty member or a graduate student of the Math Department.
You should have been given an authorized Math Department computer account, i.e. a username and password. With an authorized account you're free to use the Math Department's computing facilities described on this site's index page. If you didn't get a username and password, come see the Math Department's computer staff, in room 507 or 515.
Computer accounts of people no longer members of the Math Department in the above sense will be deleted after a short grace period. During that period, such users can save their user files elsewhere. Here are a few more details on this topic.
- In exceptional circumstances, someone not a member of the Department may be given temporary access to the departmental computing facilities, for the purpose of facilitating joint work with a faculty member of the Department. The faculty member involved should email the IT Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org) explaining the particular need, and will bear full responsibility for that account. Such requests will be reviewed yearly.
- Normally, accounts of people who leave will be deleted on Octber 1 following the time of their departure. Former members who need extra time to relocate may request a temporary (6 month extension) of their accounts.
- Students who earned their PhDs during the past academic year may request a one year extension of their accounts.
- In cases of former Math Department members that don't fit the above guidelines, the IT Manager will decide when to remove an account.
- The Math Department maintains several e-mail lists. Some of them (faculty, graduate, supportstaff) are used primarily to notify people about matters related to their jobs and, hence, users can neither subscribe to nor unsubscribe from these lists. The lists will be reviewed twice a year to make sure that the people on them are members of the Math Department. If someone wants to remain on a list, they may request this from the IT Manager.