PDE Geometric Analysis seminar
The seminar's format will be a combination of online and in-person; we will make sure to update you as soon as we have more details available. First talk is tentatively scheduled for September 20th !
For now we would like to provide a zoom link where one is required to register. This way you will receive weekly reminders/info about the upcoming talks.
Register in advance for this meeting: https://uwmadison.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJcpcuqqqjMjE9VJ_-SaJ0gc6kS10CCTQTVP
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
PDE GA Seminar Schedule Fall 2021-Spring 2022
September 20th, 2021.
Simion Schulz (UW Madison); Format: in-person seminar, Room: 901, Time: 3:30PM-4:30PM
Title: Existence and regularity for a system of porous medium equations with small cross-diffusion and nonlocal drifts
Abstract: We prove existence and Sobolev regularity of solutions of a nonlinear system of degenerate parabolic PDEs with self- and cross-diffusion, transport/confinement and nonlocal interaction terms. The macroscopic system of PDEs is formally derived from a large particle system and models the evolution of an arbitrary number of (e.g. biological) species with quadratic porous medium interactions in a bounded domain of arbitrary dimension. The cross-interactions are scaled by a coefficient on which a necessary smallness condition is imposed. The strategy of our proof relies on a fixed point argument, followed by a vanishing viscosity scheme. This is joint work with Maria Bruna (Cambridge), Luca Alasio (Paris VI), and Simone Fagioli (Università degli Studi dell'Aquila).
September 27th, 2021.
October 4th, 2021.
Antoine Remind-Tiedrez (UW Madison); Format: in-person seminar, Room: 901, Time: 3:30PM-4:30PM
October 11th, 2021.
October 18th, 2021.
Wojciech Ozanski (USC); Format: online seminar via Zoom, Room:--, Time: 3:30PM-4:30PM
October 25th, 2021.
November 1th, 2021.
Albert Ai (UW Madison);
November 8th, 2021.
November 15th, 2021.
November 22th, 2021.
November 29th, 2021.
December 6th, 2021.
December 13th, 2021.
February 21th, 2021. Birgit Schoerkhuber; Format: online seminar via Zoom, Room:--, Time:--
PDE GA Seminar Schedule Fall 2020-Spring 2021
Welcome to the new mode of our PDEGA seminar this semester. Each week, we'll introduce to you two talks that are interesting and related to our interests. As the videos are already on Youtube or other platforms, you could choose to watch them whenever you want to; our goal here is merely to pick our favorite ones out of thousands of already available recorded talks.
Week 1 (9/1/2020-9/5/2020)
1. Paul Rabinowitz - The calculus of variations and phase transition problems. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs3rd8RPosA
2. Frank Merle - On the implosion of a three dimensional compressible fluid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wSNBN0IRdA&feature=youtu.be
Week 2 (9/6/2020-9/12/2020)
1. Yoshikazu Giga - On large time behavior of growth by birth and spread. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ndtUh38AU0
2. Tarek Elgindi - Singularity formation in incompressible fluids. https://youtu.be/29zUjm7xFlI
Week 3 (9/13/2020-9/19/2020)
1. Eugenia Malinnikova - Two questions of Landis and their applications. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpTsW1noWTQ
2. Pierre Germain - On the derivation of the kinetic wave equation. https://youtu.be/ZbCjKwQ3KcE
Week 4 (9/20/2020-9/26/2020)
1. Robert M. Strain - Global mild solutions of the Landau and non-cutoff Boltzmann equation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWrCItk2euo&feature=youtu.be
2. Elena Kosygina - Stochastic homogenization of a class of nonconvex viscous HJ equations in one space dimension https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVZv0ftT3PM
Week 5 (9/27/2020-10/03/2020)
1. Isabelle Gallagher - From Newton to Boltzmann, fluctuations and large deviations. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkrKkUVadDo
2. Connor Mooney - The Bernstein problem for elliptic functionals, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSfnyfCL74c
Week 6 (10/04/2020-10/10/2020)
1. Felix Otto - The thresholding scheme for mean curvature flow and De Giorgi's ideas for gradient flows. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FQsiZpQA7E
2. Inwon Kim - Evolution of star-shaped sets in Mean curvature flow with forcing http://www.birs.ca/events/2018/5-day-workshops/18w5033/videos/watch/201806190900-Kim.html
Week 7 (10/11/2020-10/17/2020)
1. Benoit Perthame - Multiphase models of living tissues and the Hele-Shaw limit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGVJnJCfw5s
2. Yifeng Yu - Properties of Effective Hamiltonians. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06G4wjF-Hg
Week 8 (10/18/2020-10/24/2020)
1. Carlos Kenig - Asymptotic simplification for solutions of the energy critical nonlinear wave equation. https://youtu.be/jvzUqAxU8Xg
2. Kyeongsu Choi - Ancient mean curvature flows and singularity analysis. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu1iLjdFjKQ
Virtual Analysis and PDE Seminar (VAPS): https://sites.uci.edu/pdeonlineseminar/. First talk by Ovidiu Savin.
Week 9 (10/25/2020-10/31/2020)
1. John Ball - Some energy minimization problems for liquid crystals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j0jc-y7JzE
2. Tristan Buckmaster - Stable shock wave formation for the isentropic compressible Euler equations. https://stanford.zoom.us/rec/play/DwuT8rE-K1uJC0LghYPtsoaNmPBk9-P5EK4ZeWh1mVNJELRHn-ay-gOVXHSTRz_0X3iUZDBoUVYq8zfd.Tuqy8urKY4jESivm?continueMode=true&_x_zm_rtaid=GiRX307iT7encyYgIEgh9Q.1603308889393.b4a9b3af5c64cc9ca735cffbe25d8b7b&_x_zm_rhtaid=764
Week 10 (11/1/2020-11/7/2020)
1. Sylvia Serfaty - Mean-Field limits for Coulomb-type dynamics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7iSTnAe808&feature=youtu.be
2. Luc Nguyen - Symmetry and multiple existence of critical points in 2D Landau-de Gennes Q-tensor theory http://www.birs.ca/events/2017/5-day-workshops/17w5110/videos/watch/201705041518-Nguyen.html
Week 11 (11/8/2020-11/14/2020)
1. Andrzej Święch - Finite dimensional approximations of Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman equations in spaces of probability measures https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC514krtWAc
2. Alexandru Ionescu - On the nonlinear stability of shear flows and vortices, https://youtu.be/Zt_Izzi87V0
Week 12 (11/15/2020-11/21/2020)
1. Irene M. Gamba - Boltzmann type equations in a general framework: from the classical elastic flow, to gas mixtures, polyatomic gases, and more, https://youtu.be/fPlhAMGULtY
2. Andrej Zlatos - Euler Equations on General Planar Domains, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdyyMZirRwk
Week 13 (11/22/2020-11/28/2020)
1. Camillo De Lellis - Flows of vector fields: classical and modern, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVXSC3rtvok&feature=youtu.be
2. Wilfrid Gangbo - Analytical Aspect of Mean Field Games (Part 1/2), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI5n6OYzzW8
Week 14 (11/29/2020-12/5/2020)
1. Juan Dávila - Leapfrogging vortex rings and other solutions with concentrated vorticity for the Euler equations, https://youtu.be/xfAKGc0IEUw
2. Yao Yao - Aggregation-diffusion equation: symmetry, uniqueness and non-uniqueness of steady states, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_4qCimIMYc
Week 15 (12/6/2020-12/12/2020)
1. Pierre Gilles Lemarié-Rieusset - On weak solutions of the Navier-Stokes equations with infinite energy, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeFJ6r-GLJc&feature=youtu.be
2. Albert Fathi - Weak KAM Theory: the connection between Aubry-Mather theory and viscosity solutions of the Hamilton-Jacobi equation, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y8slhbQlTU
Week 1 (1/31/2021- 2/6/2021)
1. Emmanuel Grenier - instability of viscous shear layers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_EG4VWIYvU&feature=youtu.be
2. Robert Pego - Dynamics and oscillations in models of coagulation and fragmentation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3712lImYP84
Week 2 ( 2/7/2021- 2/13/2021)
1. Ryan Hynd, The Hamilton-Jacobi equation, past and present https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR6paJf7aek
2. Jacob Bedrossian - Chaotic mixing of the Lagrangian flow map and the power spectrum of passive scalar turbulence in the Batchelor regime https://youtu.be/3lNQNsdlGTE
Colloquium (2/12/2021): Bobby Wilson (University of Washington). More information can be found here http://www.math.wisc.edu/wiki/index.php/Colloquia.
Week 3 ( 2/14/2021- 2/20/2021)
1. Diogo A. Gomes - Monotone MFGs - theory and numerics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj1L7AHHY3s
2. Hao Jia - nonlinear asymptotic stability in two dimensional incompressible Euler equations https://youtu.be/KMf7K2sTLXg
Week 4 ( 2/21/2021- 2/27/2021)
1. Anne-Laure Dalibard - Boundary layer methods in semilinear fluid equations https://www.msri.org/workshops/944/schedules/29309
2. Gui-Qiang G. Chen - On Nonlinear PDEs of Mixed Elliptic-Hyperbolic Type: Analysis and Connections https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3sa-8qtw68
Week 5 ( 2/28/2021- 3/6/2021)
1. Inwon Kim - A variational scheme for Navier-Stokes Equations https://www.msri.org/workshops/944/schedules/29317
2. Robert L. Jerrard - Solutions of the Ginzburg–Landau equatons with vorticity concentrating near a nondegenerate geodesic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0NQh2PET_k
Week 6 (3/7/2021-3/13/2021)
1. Ondřej Kreml - Non-uniqueness of admissible weak solutions to the compressible Euler equations with smooth initial datas https://www.birs.ca/events/2020/5-day-workshops/20w5188/videos/watch/202011231027-Kreml.html
2. Rita Ferreira - Homogenization of a stationary mean-field game via two-scale convergence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EICMVmt5o9c
Week 7 (3/14/2021-3/20/2021)
1. Sergey Denisov - Small scale formation in 2D Euler dynamics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ffUgTC34tM
2. Alexis Vasseur - Instability of finite time blow-ups for incompressible Euler https://www.birs.ca/events/2020/5-day-workshops/20w5188/videos/watch/202011231000-Vasseur.html
Week 8 (3/21/2021- 3/27/2021)
1. Peter Sternberg - Variational Models for Phase Transitions in Liquid Crystals Based Upon Disparate Values of the Elastic Constants https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rSPsDvkTYs
2. François Golse - Half-space problem for the Boltzmann equation with phase transition at the boundary https://mysnu-my.sharepoint.com/:v:/g/personal/bear0117_seoul_ac_kr/ETGjasFQ7ylHu04qUz4KomYB98uMHLd-q96DOJGwbbEB0A
Week 9 (3/28/2021- 4/3/2021)
1. Susan Friedlander - Kolmogorov, Onsager and a stochastic model for turbulence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk3KZQ-anDM
2. Sergei Chernyshenko - Auxiliary functionals: a path to solving the problem of turbulence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrF7n3MyCy4&list=PLf_ipOSbWC86n18q4JMn_1J04S90FpdeE&index=9
Week 10 (4/4/2021- 4/10/2021)
1. Camillo De Lellis - Transport equations and ODEs with nonsmooth coefficients https://www.msri.org/workshops/945/schedules/29235
2. Weinan E - PDE problems that arise from machine learning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rb8DJkxfg8
Week 11(4/11/2021- 4/17/2021)
1. Marian Gidea - Topological methods and Hamiltonian instability https://youtu.be/aMN7zJZavDo
2. David Gerard-Varet - On the effective viscosity of suspensions http://www.birs.ca/events/2020/5-day-workshops/20w5188/videos/watch/202011230644-Gerard-Varet.html
Week 12(4/18/2021- 4/24/2021)
1. Takis Souganidis - Phase-field models for motion by mean curvature - 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH8ygVAZm-0
2. Nader Masmoudi - Inviscid Limit and Prandtl System, https://youtu.be/tLg3HwVDlOo
Week 13(4/25/2021- 5/1/2021)
1. James Stone - Astrophysical fluid dynamics https://youtu.be/SlPSa37QMeI
2. Stefania Patrizi - Chaotic Orbits for systems of nonlocal equations http://www.birs.ca/events/2017/5-day-workshops/17w5116/videos/watch/201704050939-Patrizi.html