Students with/who are problems

From UW-Math Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Academic Advising

Often, students come to their TAs asking for academic advice. They might want to know about other math classes, the math major, or some other major entirely. Although you may know something about other courses that you've taught, or professors you've taken or taught for, you are not to be an academic advisor. There are places you can send the student for answers.

  • The Math Major: Send the student to the Undergraduate Program Assistant (currently Kate Barrett) in room 203 Van Vleck. Outside that office is the Guidebook for Math Majors, which is also available online here. The guidebook has a list of Math Faculty Advisors who can answer more in-depth questions about the major and coursework.
  • The College of Letters and Science: Send the student to room 70 Bascom Hall. He or she will be able to speak with an Assistant Dean who can sit down with the student to discuss college requirements and point to other places on campus to get advice about particular majors.
  • The College of Engineering: Send the student to the Engineering General Resources (EGR) Office in 1150 Engineering Hall.
  • College of Agricultural and Life Sciences (CALS): Send the student to the CALS Office of Academic Student Affairs in room 116 Agricultural Hall.
  • School of Education: Send the student to the office of Education Academic Services in room B117 Education Building, 1000 Bascom Mall.

If nothing else, all students have their own academic advisors. Tell them to go talk to whomever that is.

Personal Problems

Occasionally, you will have a student in distress because of some personal issue. The student may come to you directly, or you may just notice that something isn't quite right. You should urge that student to seek help from the Dean of Students office in room 75 Basscom Hall. They always have an On-Call Dean who can speak with the student and find appropriate assistance.

If you want to speak with a dean yourself to find out how to handle a specific situation, you can call 263-5700 or stop by room 75 Bascom Hall. More information on crisis situations, may be found here.

Classroom Management

"With any luck, the tornado will take out the shooter who's be"