Using md2mb To Backup Your Mail
A program named md2mb allows you to make a backup of your mail in mbox format. To use md2mb, follow the directions below: Note that the math Department also makes backups of your mail on a nightly basis. But you can use md2mb to make your own backups or to take your mail with you when leave the department.
- Use an ssh client to log onto login.math.wisc.edu.
- Run the program md2mb. If you run the program with no options, it will make a copy of each of your mail folders, starting with your Inbox, each in a seperate file in the ~/mail/ folder in your home directory.
1. Copy all your mail folders, starting with the Inbox to the ~/mail/ directory in your home directory.
2. Copy the Sent-Mail folder to the file ~/mail/Sent-Items.mbx :
3. Copy all of your mail but do not issue progress reports: